The Rofheart and Jones Families

Discovering our Family Histories & Ancestors

Essex County Historical Society Bulletin

Source Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    All

  • Title Essex County Historical Society Bulletin 
    Author Essex County Historical Society 
    Publisher Name: Essex County Museum and Historical Society; Location: 218 Water lane, Tappahannock, Virginia 22560; Date: November 1972; 
    Repository Essex County Museum and Historical Society 
    Source ID S89 
    Linked to Robert COLEMAN 

  • Photos
    Scots Arms Tavern
    Scots Arms Tavern
    The Harry Beverley plat of the Town of Tappahannock of 1706 shows on Lot 20 "Coleman's House" as already there at that time, which makes this the oldest house in the Town. Robert Spillsbee Coleman's will of 1760 calls this building the "Scots Arm Tavern." An 1801 insurance policy shows this Tavern to be "105 feet long, one story in height except for the 24 feet next to the river which is two stories." The present house is in this location, is two stories high with an English basement. It is now the private home of Miss Mary Derieux, whose family has owned and lived here for over one hundred years.
    Anderton House COLEMAN HOUSE
    Anderton House COLEMAN HOUSE
    This was the original Robert Coleman home; it was part of his plantation before the Town of Tappahannock was laid out. The center part is the original with its early American architecture. It still retains the original weatherboarding, windows, and chimneys. The interior shows handsome but simple doors, mantles, and trimming. Many prominent Essex County families have owned and lived in it. The Anderton Family in the 1890's added the southern section and St. Margaret's School added the northern section in the 1970's. Since 1947 it has been owned by St. Margaret's School and is now used as a Senior Class dormitory.

  •  Notes 
    • Vol 3